Please note that Grumeti reserves the right to revise and update this Policy at any time, with any such revisions or updates effective immediately upon notice thereof, which we may provide by posting a revised version of the Policy on this Site or by other means. As such, Users should refer back to this Policy from time to time to review any revisions or updates that may have been made. Any use of the Site by a User subsequent to such notice shall be deemed to constitute such User’s acceptance of the Policy as amended or revised.
More details concerning the collection or processing of Information may be requested from Grumeti at any time by means of the contact information listed below:
P.O. Box 65, Mugumu, Tanzania
Data controller contact email: email@example.com
Applicability of broader data protection standards
While most provisions of this document concern all Site visitors, some provisions apply only if the processing of Information is subject to certain binding data protection standards, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). GDPR requirements referred to in this document apply only when data processing:
- Is performed by an owner based in the EU;
- Concerns the Information of Users who are in the EU and is related to the offering of paid or unpaid goods or services to such Users; or
- Concerns the Information of Users who are in the EU where Grumeti is monitoring such Users’ behavior taking place in the EU.
Types of data collected
Based upon a User’s use of the Site, Grumeti or third parties providing services to Grumeti, including Google, Blackbaud, Facebook, Twitter, Wistia, MailChimp, and others, may collect certain Information, including one or more of the following:
- First name, last name, phone number, company name, address, country, state, email address, city, ZIP/Postal code, date of birth, payment information and other personal information;
- Browser type, language, plug-ins, Internet domain and operating system;Internet Protocol address;
- The website(s) visited before visiting the Site and the website(s) visited after visiting the Site;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that may identify the physical location of such devices;
- Data relating to a User’s interactions with content on the Site, such as the type of content viewed on the Site.
Such Information may be freely provided by a User, or, in case of usage data, collected automatically when using this Site. Users are responsible for any third-party Information obtained, published or shared through this Site and confirm that the User has the third party’s consent to provide the Information to Grumeti.
Unless otherwise specified, failure to provide Information requested by the Site may make it impossible for this Site to provide its services, which include, among other things, fundraising and campaigning for the issues on which Grumeti works and administering this Site and the Grumeti organization. In cases where this Site states that certain Information is not mandatory, Users are free not to communicate this Information without consequences to the availability or the functioning of the Site. If a User is uncertain about which Information is mandatory, the User is welcome to contact Grumeti.
Security of User’s Information
Grumeti uses technical and organizational measures to help to protect the Information collected through the Site from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction consistent with applicable data protection laws. However, no security system is perfect and, as such, Grumeti does not guarantee the security of the Site or the Information, or that User Information will not be intercepted while being transmitted to the Site. As such, to the maximum extent permitted under applicable laws, we expressly disclaim any liability for any unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction of Information.
Legal basis of Information processing
Grumeti processes Information on one or more of the following grounds:
- The User has given consent for one or more specific purposes or, in some jurisdictions, if the User has not objected to such processing;
Provision of Information is necessary for compliance with a legal or regulatory obligation;
- For the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims or proceedings (including in cases arising from or related to improper use of this Site or the related services); or
- Processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Grumeti or by a third party.
Place of Information processing
Information is processed at Grumeti’s operating offices and in any other place(s) where third parties involved in the processing are located. Depending on a User’s location, Information transfers may involve transferring a User’s Information to a country other than the User’s own. If certain broader data protection standards are applicable, Users may be entitled to learn about the legal basis of data transfers to a country outside the EU or to certain international organizations, and about the security measures taken by Grumeti to safeguard Information in these circumstances. Users can find out more about such transfers by inquiring with Grumeti.
Retention of Information
In the event that a User requests that its Information be deleted, or where the basis for processing was the consent of the User which has subsequently been withdrawn, then subject to any applicable rights or obligations requiring retention of the Information, Grumeti shall make all efforts to comply with such requests to the extent required by applicable data protection laws.
Use of collected Information
Grumeti uses Users’ Information in several ways, including to provide certain services, such as analytics, interaction with external social networks and platforms, contacting Site visitors, tag management and displaying content from external platforms, to create and maintain donor lists and communicate with our Users (unless Users request to be removed from our donor lists or opt out from our communications as further described below). Additionally, Grumeti may share Users’ Information with Grumeti’s partners and third party service providers. The Information sharing may involve a transfer of the Information to a location outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). While the level of information protection in countries outside the EEA may be less than that offered within the EEA, Grumeti will implement appropriate measures to ensure that Users’ Information nevertheless remains protected and secure.
The Site contains links to external sites. Unless we explicitly say so, Grumeti makes no representations concerning the content of those sites. The fact that Grumeti has provided a link to a site should not be interpreted as an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation with respect to that site, its owners, or its providers. Users’ interactions with the linked site are governed by the privacy policies of that site, and Grumeti is not responsible for the privacy practices of any other sites even if they are linked to from Grumeti’s Site.
Depending on applicable data protection laws, Users may exercise certain rights regarding Information processed by Grumeti including:
- Withdraw consent at any time. Users have the right to withdraw previously provided consent for the processing of their Information (to withdraw such previously provided consent, Users can contact Grumeti at P.O. Box 65, Mugumu, Tanzania or email the data controller at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Object to or restrict the processing of Information. Users have the right under certain circumstances to object to or restrict the processing of their Information if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent.
- Access Information. Users have the right to learn if their Information is being processed by Grumeti, obtain disclosure regarding certain aspects of the Information processing and obtain a copy of the Information undergoing processing.
- Verify and seek rectification of Information. Users have the right to verify the accuracy of their Information and ask for it to be updated or corrected.
- Have Information deleted or otherwise removed. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to have Grumeti erase their Information (see above).
- Receive Information and have it transferred to another controller. Under certain circumstances, Users have the right to receive their Information in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the Information is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on the User’s consent, on a contract which a User is a party to or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Prevent unauthorized transfers. In certain circumstances, Users may have the ability to stop unauthorized transfers of Information to a third party.
- Lodge a complaint. Users have the right to file a complaint with the competent data protection authority.
- Request additional information. Upon request, Users have the right to receive additional and contextual information concerning particular services or the collection and processing of Information.
It is important to be aware that the availability of these rights is subject to the applicability of data protection laws and may not be absolute. For example, if a User withdraws consent to Grumeti’s processing of Information, Grumeti may be able to continue to process Information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law, in particular in connection with exercising and defending its legal rights or meeting its legal and regulatory obligations.
If a User would like to stay up-to-date on the conservation, community, anti-poaching, relationships, research and monitoring and special projects work of Grumeti, the User can sign up to receive email, newsletter, or other communications from Grumeti. If the User ever wants to stop receiving this information, the User can update the email preferences by using the “Unsubscribe” link found in emails Grumeti sends. Users can also update the email preferences by contacting Grumeti at P.O. Box 65 Mugumu, Tanzania or emailing at email@example.com.
How “Do Not Track” requests are handled
This Site does not support “Do Not Track” requests. To determine whether any of the third-party services the Site uses honor the “Do Not Track” requests, please read their privacy policies.
Latest update: June 24, 2019